Have you joined the LinkedIn maven group?

Ron
On 22/07/2014 5:43 PM, Preston, Dale wrote:
There were a lot of replies so far so I want to thank everyone who responded.
I have received a lot of information and I'll have to give it thoughtful
consideration and try to absorb it.

I think the response that makes the most sense was that from Paul Benedict:
apache is a non-profit [and] cost should be minimal.

Otherwise, I am generally the odd-man-out so please don't be surprised or
offended, but I do prefer forums over email lists.  Maybe with more time on
here I'll adapt without being assimilated.

Thanks, though, to all for the replies.  It gives me something to consider.

Dale

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Wheeler [mailto:rwhee...@artifact-software.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:36 PM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL]Re: Why not a forum

"Apache Policy is that if it didn't happen on the mailing list, it didn't
happen."

This policy is more important for the dev list where the mailing list is an
integral part of the decision making process and is the official record of the
project.

For user's, it is not so important.
I currently subscribe here and am one of the 2800 on LinkedIn.
This is a more active place but LinkedIn is going to grow simply because
LinkedIn is already a large group and is part of a larger community with
300 million members.

It may be a while before the quality of discussion on LinkedIn matches this
mailing list but I would be opposed to supporting any other forum since 1
mailing list and 1 forum is enough.

There is no need to pull scarce resources from Apache to build something from
scratch that competes with a Maven group that has 2800 members already.

Ron