Hi,

I am using maven-surefire-plugin version 2.17 and testng plugin version
6.3.1 (jdk version is 1.7 ).

so ok so far you are using maven-surefire-plugin 2.17 and have configured a dependency to testng in version 6.3.1?
First why are you using such an old version of TestNG..(2011?)...

Furthermore there is no testng plugin....

Can you show your pom file which you are using otherwise it's hard to guess what's wrong...

Some of our tests are failing and in the
testng-results.xml file it is reported as fail. The issue is "maven" is
reporting the failed tests as "skipped" and the final build status is
SUCCESS.

Has anyone faced this issue ? if so what is the soln.

I tried with "surefire-testng" plugin instead of "testng" plugin. With
this change, maven is properly reporting the failed tests and the final
build is reported as FAIL

What is the difference between testng and surefire-testng plugin , I don't
see any mention in the surefire plugin page, so I am not sure if it is
correct to use this plugin.

Any help is appreciated

Kind regards
Karl-Heinz Marbaise