My parent POM declares this Selenium project in a profile.
   <profile>
      <id>default-build</id>
      <!-- This profile will be active if another profile isn't triggered -->
      <activation>
         <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
      </activation>
      <modules>
         <module>FooProject-Model</module>
         <module>FooProject-Thermal</module>
         <module>FooProject-ViewController</module>
         <module>FooProject-API-V1</module>
         <module>FooProject-Monitoring</module>
         <module>FooProject-ADF</module>
         <module>FooProject-BIRT</module>
         <module>FooProject-Selenium</module>
      </modules>
   </profile>

And the Selenium pom (sub-module) has the following:

Packaging
   <packaging>jar</packaging>

Depend on the ear being built and deployed from another sub-module project.
   <dependencies>
      <dependency>
         <groupId>${project.groupId}</groupId>
         <artifactId>FooProject-ADF</artifactId>
         <version>1.0</version>
         <type>ear</type>
      </dependency>

Run integration tests.
   </dependencies>
   <build>
      <plugins>
         <plugin>
            <artifactId>maven-failsafe-plugin</artifactId>
            <version>2.17</version>
            <configuration>
               <forkMode>once</forkMode>
            </configuration>
            <executions>
               <execution>
                  <goals>
                     <goal>integration-test</goal>
                     <goal>verify</goal>
                  </goals>
               </execution>
            </executions>
         </plugin>
      </plugins>
   </build>

The build (run from parent pom) is failing with this error:
   [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy
(default-deploy) on project FooProject-Selenium: Deployment failed:
repository element was not specified in the POM inside
distributionManagement element or in
-DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter -> [Help 1]

I understand this is because by specifying package as jar, Mavan wants
to know where I want to put the FooProject-Selenium jar, and of course
I don't want to generate a jar at all.

I have ready suggestions that I should use the pom packaging statement
and http://stackoverflow.com/a/8845858/257233 says that if I do that,
I will have to explicitly call my goals with
   mvn clean compiler:testCompile surefire:test
But I don't want this - I need the parent pom to be able to be able to
co-ordinate the entire build.

So.. what is the best way to deal with this?

Rob
:)