The best mechanism I have seen to date for sharing configuration amongst many
projects is the Airbase POM in the Airlift project that was developed by
Henning (I've cc'd him).

Airbase uses PMD but you can probably use a similar technique for Checkstyle. I
always point people at the Airbase POM as it's what I consider the best way to
configure a Maven build.

On Oct 20, 2014, at 10:56 AM, James Green <james.mk.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a good practice to achieve this?
>
> I have a company-parent POM which has config to deal with site generation
> and distributionMangement. Everything has this as it's parent.
>
> I also have a build-tools JAR that supplies checkstyle.xml. The problem is
> company-parent depends-on build-tools within the site configuration, yet
> build-tools requires company-parent to inherit distributionManagement...
> Yuck.
>
> I now note there is an in-line configuration for checkstyle possible. Is
> this the way forward for our case?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people can fix
bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

 -- Paul Graham