You can overwrite the checkstyle version. My configuration looks like this:

<plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
    <version>2.12.1</version>
    <configuration>
<configLocation>checkstyle.xml</configLocation>
<includeTestSourceDirectory>false</includeTestSourceDirectory>
        <failsOnError>true</failsOnError>
    </configuration>
    <executions>
        <execution>