Have you scanned the Maven books referenced on the Maven web site? Best starting place.

With a repository (Nexus), people are prevented from deploying the same version twice so you are guaranteed that if you build with version 2.3.15 of ourNiceUtility, you will always get the same code. The repo will simply not allow them to overwrite version 2.3.15 once it is deployed into the wild(public).

Beats firing developers but stops them from doing silly things.