I wrote this in 2011
http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?p=121
which describe our use of aggregation jars.
It is, of course, focused on the wonderful advantages that these offer.

It may have prompted the discussion that you recall so this might give you a time-frame to narrow your search.

I may be wrong but I think that Stephen Connolly and Wayne Fay raised some issues with the approach. The word "anti-pattern" may have come up.:-)

Perhaps this will jog some memories.

Ron