I don't think the CI Server is an issue as we have lots of flexibility when
we setup those jobs.  The issue is for developer builds.  I'm not clear how
to setup workstations to make it easy to build projects with different
Maven versions.

Our standard practice is to set M2_HOME to the maven install and then add
%M2_HOME%/bin to the path.

The suggestion was to not set M2_HOME...okay I thought that was required
but we can not set it.  We still need Maven in our path.  Are you saying
that if I set the path to Maven version X, my build can somehow specify to
use Maven version Y or Z?  All I've seen in Maven thus far is the ability
to specify what version must be used not what version to use, and it's the
later I'm looking for.  I don't want devs to have to reconfigure their
system props to build different code branches.

-Dave