On 05/01/2015 6:29 PM, Kevin Burton wrote:
Breaking your application into smaller independent services may give you a
way to reduce the number of conflicts related to these different transitive
dependencies but that may not be as easy as testing your app with the
updated versions or doing some research with the teams that are building
with the old libraries to see if they will upgrade and run their acceptance
tests within a time frame that meets your project's timeline requirements.

I agree.  in this case the issue is testing. I need to embed cassandra so I
can test it but it’s conflicting with spark.
These are both Apache projects that I don't know.
Have you asked the one using the older dependencies if they can upgrade their dependencies and run their acceptance tests?

Even if you have to download the sources and upgrade the dependencies and run their acceptance tests, this might be easier than trying to test your own application to the extent required to ensure that the software has no problems with the updated versions.
This assumes that these projects have strong test suites.

I would state your problems in the forum of the offending project. There might be a lot of enthusiasm for an upgrade.

Ron

Ideally I could just start a container and I think that’s the way we’re
going to evolve things.  Essentially, start a container for the daemons I
need to test against and then make sure all my components work.  Then just
kill the containers.

—

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*