Hi,

The generated html should contain width and height attributes for the img tag:
can you check?
The content of site.xml is diretly copied, whatever you wrote: then the good
choice between "40" or "40px" is a question about HTML you want.

What skin are you using?

Any test project with visible source and result will help us understand the
problem you're facing.

Regards,

Hervé