I find markdown as a format just too restricted and painful to use. We had good
success with using asciidoc for the Android Maven Plugin for site generation.
It uses the very active asciidoctor project for rendering in the site.

http://simpligility.github.io/android-maven-plugin/

The Maven and Nexus books are also using asciidoc as a format btw.

https://github.com/sonatype/maven-reference-en
https://github.com/sonatype/nexus-book
https://github.com/sonatype/maven-example-en

Hope that helps.