This is really only a question about the borked "zip file" explorer that is
default in windows. Quality zip clients always works fine on Windows.

The miserable story is documented entirely at
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/zip.html#Encoding and is
an enjoyable read for anyone who wants the full story :)

For the assembly plugin I have scheduled
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-748 for the next release, which
should be soonish.

For the dependency plugin I am still not convinced that this should be
supported. Unlike the ZIP specification, the Jar specification is crystal
clear on "UTF-8" only, which means we'd be breaking something that is not
broken.

Kristian