The downside here is that what you might have configured locally, personally,
may conflict with what a project might have setup.

At the project level it's safe, organizationally it can be if curated but a
personal setup working with something not explicitly configured for a specific
project is asking for support problems.

On May 28, 2015, at 11:58 AM, Manfred Moser <manf...@mosabuam.com> wrote:

> I think having a global config for this would be good. Personally I think
> having .m2/extensions.xml would be a good way to do it.
>
> You could introduce e.g. Igor's logging here, add the Takari concurrent local
> repo access and so on in a declarative fashion and truly customize your Maven
> installation. Installation rather than project usage!
>
> And it would be fine to switch between Maven installations and it would also
> be applicable e.g. to an embedded Maven in M2e or another tool.
>
> The loading problem of e.g. starting the groovy extension on each project
> exists but that comes down to carefully choosing which extensions you always
> want and which ones you have project specific. And we can maybe look at each
> extension doing a quick check first before a full start. E.g. No pom.groovy
> file .. exit.
>
> The problem with using the settings file is that we then have two different
> syntax for specifiying the extensions and that we have to change settings so
> that would probably not be backwards compatible..
>
> Manfred
>
> Jason van Zyl wrote on 28.05.2015 05:08:
>
>> So just to be clear you don't actually have to add the artifact itself but a
>> declaration of the artifact and it will be downloaded. We really only first
>> thought about project specific extensions, making sure the mechanism worked
>> with the type of bootstrapping required, proper classloader isolation, that a
>> complex project I was working on functioned, and that polyglot worked for
>> JRuby. We have discussed in the hangouts how an extension might work on an
>> organizational basis but never really decided anything.
>>
>> So how would an organization say they wanted to use the Groovy DSL? The POM
>> is
>> likely ideal but we have obvious bootstrapping issues doing that as you can
>> imagine with extensions like Polyglot which actually need to read the POM.
>>
>> I think the options are:
>>
>> - user level
>> - .m2/extensions.xml: i think it is hard here to enforce what projects to
>> operate on, i don't think you want the groovy extension loaded for every
>> project
>>
>> - distribution level: you have to ensure that everyone actually uses the same
>> distribution. this is possible with the Maven Wrapper
>> (http://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper)
>>
>> - project level
>> - .mvn/extensions.xml: what is currently implemented
>>
>> - organization level
>> - ${url}/extensions.xml: we need to use something outside the POM currently.
>> we might be able to get clever making a couple passes but we're not currently
>> doing that.
>>
>> Jordan, what do you think would be most convenient and least error prone?
>>
>> On May 27, 2015, at 2:52 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What is the reason that .mvn/extensions.xml has to be added to every
>>> project?
> [...]

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people can fix
bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

 -- Paul Graham