You know that release:perform doesn't do any magic. It would be the same as:
cd target/checkout
mvn deploy (or mvn deploy site-deploy)

If this works as expected (without failures), then it looks like something is leaking.
Could you try to switch to the ForkedMavenExecutor?
<mavenExecutorId>forked-path</mavenExecutorId>

thanks,
Robert