I would recommend using maven profiles. Just add to your pom:

    <profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>*builddeb*</id>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <!-- MOVE your jdeb plugin configuration -->
               </plugins>
            </build>
        </profile>
    </profiles>

If you run mvn install, you'll notice your jdeb won't be executed. If you
run mvn install -P*builddeb* it will add your jdeb execution to maven
lifecycle.
More about profiles:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html