Stephen,

I guess this is the regression issue you are talking about
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5840.

I've verified on master build and it still have the same behavior. It works
where it was not working in previous version up to 3.2.5.
I blame version ranges that now supported in parent/version (see
https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-model-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/model/building/DefaultModelBuilder.java#L929).
It creates VersionRange instance that recommends version from child1 pom
but not restricts upper and lover bounds. This means it is still ignoring
version in child pom and using whatever is in parent pom resolved from
local file system.

To make it works the same way as in 3.2.x the explicit version range should
be used:
- [version] - to allow the only version;
- [version,) - to have open range;

then example fails as expected.

-Denis