Yes, you can use the Mercury version numbering scheme for artifacts having the
5 digit version number.  Create a version rules XML file that specifies which
artifacts use Mercury and which artifacts use Maven version schemes.  Pass the
file using the versions plugin's rulesUri or -Dmaven.version.rules...