HI,

On 1/9/16 10:59 AM, Christofer Dutz wrote:

Everyone that has worked for a Bank knows you can't
>  just go there and tell them what the standard is,
>  cause they'll tell you what their standard is ;-)

Unfortunately true...

So in the end we prohibited (by maven plugin) providing the version of third
party libraries,
>  enforced the usage of a company-wide dependencyManagement pom
> that is used in every project.

Sounds like a good idea...

>  Additionally we enforced the rules of the dependency plugin to
>  declare used dependencies and not to rely on transitive dependencies.

That is what i don't understand...where is the relationship to maven-dependency-plugin.....May be i missed things here....

>  With this a lot of our problems were solved.
Which kind of problems...may be i missed things here...

Would an "EXCLUSION"/"INCLUSION" mechanism in dependencyManagement break things,
>and would it be ok to fix up a Pull request implementing that functionality?

Hm...so you can do things like this (exclusion) single parts...

<dependencyManagement>
    <dependencies>
      <dependency>
        <groupId>group-a</groupId>
        <artifactId>artifact-a</artifactId>
        <version>1.0</version>

        <exclusions>
          <exclusion>
            <groupId>group-c</groupId>
            <artifactId>excluded-artifact</artifactId>
          </exclusion>
        </exclusions>

      </dependency>

and since Maven 3.2.1 you exclude all transitive dependencies via:

<dependencyManagement>
    <dependencies>
      <dependency>
        <groupId>group-a</groupId>
        <artifactId>artifact-a</artifactId>
        <version>1.0</version>

        <exclusions>
          <exclusion>
            <groupId>*</groupId>
            <artifactId>*</artifactId>
          </exclusion>
        </exclusions>

      </dependency>

Apart from that...an include does not make sense from my point of view cause this could lead to the impression that you you could add dependencies transitively..which makes no sense..

Furthermore changing the pom structure here would break all things.... This kind of changed could only be made (may be ...) in Maven 4???

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise