Ok, that gave me a big clue, and a new question.

I've realized that ALL of these projects are using "src" as their source root, instead of "src/main/java", but this one that is failing is the only one that specifies the "sourceDirectory" value. Those projects that aren't specifying the value are building just fine. Is Maven just guessing "I must have meant 'src'" and just using what it found?