I personally have a pet-peeve of using system variables to define version
numbers; I find it is counter productive to the building of maven
artifacts.  There is no traceability to determine  the actual version of an
artifact once it has been built.  At least having a fixed version number in
the <version> element shows up in the META-INF/maven/../pom.* files.

Is using a variable for the version even a good idea?

Thanks,

Eric