Our issue isn't with deploying some artifacts prematurely when an install
fails - that's not normally a problem, since we've generally done at least
one successful mvn install before doing an mvn deploy.

The issue is that when we're in RC phase, we want to give our artifacts
version numbers as if they were a release (i.e. 3.4.0), as we want to
release that code byte-for-byte if no issues arise. However, as there is no
way to mvn deploy without rebuilding, we have to deploy these during the RC
phase. That is undesirable, as it means that we have "release" artifacts in
our repository that are not in fact releases... That's why we wanted to be
able to deploy the last build rather than doing it in one step...