What do you mean by 'manage package dependencies'? By 'package' do you
mean 'java package' (e.g. com.foo.bar), or do you mean an artifact in
the dependency graph?

Maven is open source. If you want to learn how it works, you need to
read the code.

If you want to learn how to use it, the sonatype online book is useful.