On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 2:56 PM Laird Nelson <ljnel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh!  I did just notice that you can search on a field called "tags" in
> search.maven.org.  It is not immediately clear to me where the contents
> for this field come from.  Does anyone know?

Hmm; it looks to be a Nexus-specific feature, but one that you can control:
https://github.com/sonatype/nexus-maven-plugins/tree/master/staging/maven-plugin#tagging-staging-repositories

Now, if you don't use the Nexus staging plugin it looks like this field is
still populated automatically somehow—presumably from various meaningful
words in the description, or name, or something—but I can't find any
documentation concerning what it's auto-populated with.

Here is a completely arbitrary example Maven central query where you can
see the tag array:
http://search.maven.org/solrsearch/select?q=g:com.datathings+AND+a:greycat-memory+AND+v:3&wt=xml
It looks like you have to have a query that results in a single artifact to
see the actual tags, or else they don't show up in the results.  (I of
course have no idea whether the author of this artifact explicitly tagged
the thing or whether these tags are auto-populated.)

Best,
Laird