Hi Karl,

Can you provide a little more information how you are doing this? Or do you
have a blog about it somewhere? It's something I desperately need to insert
into my build pipeline but haven't had the time to work on yet.  So far,
the best I've been able to think of is to use a parameter for a build
number, have Jenkins assign a build number, pass it to maven, and have the
version reflect the build number using the external parameter.  But I
really don't like that idea as the version is now dependent on a variable,
which I find is contrary to the whole concept.

The other option is to have Jenkins took the build number in the pom using
the release plugin or the version plugin, commit the new pom, and then
build from a newly checked out code.  My issue there is that I'm having
Jenkins do a lot of scm manipulations which are more subject to failing
(ie: version updates, commit, tag, push, etc).

Finally, I'm trying to think of a good way of rolling all this into Nexus
staging repos and only promoting a build out of a staging repo once it
passes the pre prod environment and is certified for prod.

Any ideas, thoughts, feedback and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric