when every your running out of disk space

you can also use this plugin
http://www.mojohaus.org/build-helper-maven-plugin/remove-project-artifact-mojo.html
so when you do a clean or a install, it will also remove that project
from your local repo.

e.g. if your building a JEE project or other war project, then it will
mean you only have the currently build version in your local repo.
which is probably what you actually need. as your build server should
be publishing released versions and putting them into a central
server. so if you need a released version then you can simply download
it.