You're probably referring indirectly to this:
https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/maven-3.5.1/maven-model-builder/src/main/resources/org/apache/maven/model/pom-4.0.0.xml#L47-L49

Note the <releases> element: my understanding is this means that if you're
using version 1.2.3 (and not 1.2.3-SNAPSHOT) of a plugin, then central will
never be re-polled for the re-publishing of version 1.2.3 (which is exactly
what you would and should expect).

Probably what you should be using instead is a <pluginManagement> section
in your pom.xml in question to pin the version of the sonar plugin to the
version you want to be used.

Best,
Laird