On Thursday, November 16, 2017 23:10 GMT, Stephen Connolly
<stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Only use release versions for releases
>
> For any builds in between releases, always use a SNAPSHOT. If you don’t
> want to commit to a version (which it sounds like you don’t) then pick
> either SNAPSHOT or major-SNAPSHOT (eg 1-SNAPSHOT) and *keep* the master
> branch *always* on that version, irrespective of what versions get released.
>
> Maven treats release version numbers differently from SNAPSHOT... it sounds
> like you want to ignore the distinction... that will cause issues for your
> developers... if you want to learn those issues the hard way, do what you
> want... if you want to take the advice of a veteran, you will use a
> SNAPSHOT for the master branch.

Hmm, I think we're talking at cross-purposes. I do not intend to do what you
are worried about. The main reason I am looking at this is to try to get the
microservices architecture style release numbers used by my team back to the
straight and narrow "semantic versioning". At the moment the maven pom version
is not used at all. The team relies solely on git commit ids and docker tags.
I'd like to improve upon that.