As of maven 3.5, there are 3 special parameters that you can use to specify
the pom version: revision, Shaw and changelist.  There have already been a
couple of threads on that topic on this list.

http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Continuous-Delivery-with-Maven-now-possible-tp5907567.html

http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Special-version-parameters-sha1-tp5916900.html

As well, khmarbaise  has written a blog on it as well.

http://blog.soebes.de/blog/2017/04/02/maven-pom-files-without-a-version-in-it/

You can also get additional info from the maven docs how to use it:
https://maven.apache.org/maven-ci-friendly.html

I'm still working out the kinks and details for my own projects as well.

Thanks

Eric