It works!  The final solution was to remove EVERY jar file from
~/Library/Java/Extensions, and voila, all is good.  A next step might
be to add the jars back one-by-one to find the culprit, but I will
save that for another day...  There was nothing suspicious looking
there, but obviously, there was a conflict in at least one of the
libraries.

Thanks a million!
--Bill