> If there is no plugin Management or Defaults it uses the latest Version.
There is no POM (that could contain that information): my intention is
to use the maven-archetype-plugin to create a new Maven project from an
archetype. According to a search in Maven Central for the GA(V), there
are at least two newer version of that plugin:

https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.apache.maven.plugins%22%20AND%20a%3A%22maven-archetype-plugin%22

I am wondering why per default 2.4 is used instead of 3.0.1 (which is
the latest), as you suggested, Bernd.

On 03/28/2018 12:37 AM, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> If there is no plugin Management or Defaults it uses the latest Version.
> -- http://bernd.eckenfels.net Von: Stefan Helfrich Gesendet: Mittwoch,
> 28. März 2018 00:29 An: users@maven.apache.org Betreff: Re:
> maven-archetype-plugin default version Thanks for pointing this out,
> Anders! My question was along the lines of how Maven determines which
> version of a plugin is used in this case: $ mvn
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:help and/or $ mvn
> archetype:help Best, Stefan On 2018/03/27 05:50:16, Anders Hammar wrote:
>> mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1:help>
>>
>> /Anders>
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Stefan Helfrich <>
>> stefan.helfr...@uni-konstanz.de> wrote:>
>>
>>> Dear everyone,>
>>> I had filed an issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM-172)>
>>> some time ago about bumping the version of maven-archetype-plugin to>
>>> which Maven defaults.>
>>> To my understanding, the fix of the issue should have made the latest>
>>> Maven version default to maven-archetype-plugin:3.0.1 instead of 2.4>
>>> when executing>
>>> $ mvn archetype:help>
>>> in a non-Maven project folder (ie. no POM available to mess with that>
>>> setting). It seems that I was mistaken on that point. Does anyone have>
>>> insights on where/how to propose a version bump maven-archetype-plugin>
>>> from 2.4 to 3.0.1?>
>>> Best,>