Moreover if you are using git and want just to do `git tag && mvn deploy`
then you can have a look at https://github.com/jgitver/jgitver-maven-plugin
to understand how jgitver maven core extension can compute your project
version automatically without never modifying your pom.xml.
If you want to avoid unnecessary commits coming from the update of the pom
version then it is worth looking at it.

When it is activated you can work like below:

$ mvn validate
   ... myproject-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
$ git tag -m "june release" 1.0
$ mvn deploy
   ... myproject-1.0.0          <-- version computed from tag without any
pom modfication
$ git add ..... && git commit -m "new feature blabla"
$ mvn validate
   ... myproject-1.0.1-SNAPSHOT          <-- version automatically followed
maven conventions again without any pom modfication
$ git branch featureX
$ mvn validate
   ... myproject-1.0.1-featureX-SNAPSHOT          <-- avoids automatically
version collision in branch still without any pom modfication

This way you never have to pollute your git history with commits containing
only pom version changes ; this also avoids a lot of merge problems because
there is no more unnecessary pom modifications.

-----
Matthieu Brouillard