Hello.

I have a private Maven repository. It's defined in pom.xml of the project

    <repository>
        <id>some.id</id>
        <url>https://some.host/artifactory/some.id</url>
    </repository>

In my ~/.m2/settings.xml, I have a proper authentication block:

    <server>
        <id>some.id</id>
        <username>pawel.vese...@domain.com</username>
        <password>{some-fancy-password-hash-goes-here}</password>
    </server>

When building the project, Maven is able to access the repository
without any problems, as it's supposed to be. In debugging output, I
can see it applying the credentials.

But when I try to download an artifact directly, it doesn't look like
Maven is even considering the settings file.

mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:3.1.1:get \
  -DremoteRepositories=some.id::::https://some.host/artifactory/some.id \
  -Dartifact=groupId:artifactId:1.1.1

The username is not transmitted. I can see in the debug output, that
the BasicRepositoryConnector is invoked without username/password
combination.

So the question goes - can a plugin be invoked so that whatever
process makes Maven consider using the authentication stated in its
settings file is executed? Am I missing something, is there a bug, or
this is the intended behavior?

(Note, this was posted as https://stackoverflow.com/q/53384757/622266)

Thank you!
  -- Pawel.