Fine that you found your way.
The only issue with the technics relying on injection of some external
value is that they make your build not reproducible.
It might not be an issue if those injections are only for intermediate
builds and that you tag your build at some point in time with real X.Y.Z
version.
By jgitver and purely the git information (tags, commits, branches) your
intermediate buillds can be reproducible even later if you checkout later
on.