Hi there,

I've found a strange issue (well, strange to me) when I tried to upgrade
Oak's parent POM from 18 to 21 (details at
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-8255>).

The actual change that triggers the issue for us was between version 18
and 19, which introduces the use of the enforcer plugin to check the
Maven version
(<https://github.com/apache/maven-apache-parent/commit/35c824cfef4d8ae3ec7234365635e43f57b8e05a#diff-600376dffeb79835ede4a0b285078036>,
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM-164>).

In Oak, we use the enforcer plugin to check the size of a generated JAR
file. After updating the parent POM, this check fails (or does not
happen?) - if and only if when done using "release:prepare".

To reproduce:

- clone https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak
- update oak-parent/pom.xml to use version 21 instead of 18 of parent pom
- run mvn:release-prepare -DdryRun=true -Darguments="-DskipTests"

<https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak/blob/trunk/oak-run/pom.xml#L157>
is the place in oak-run's POM where we use the enforcer plugin.

Are we doing something stupid here that conflicts with the use of the
enforcer plugin in the Apache parent POM?

Best regards, Julian