First time I met Jason was at a Codehaus party in Amsterdam in 2003. I miss
that portal.

Maven's XML is too element normal for my liking.  Attributes where
appropruate would be good. Also deps and GAVs needs a shakeup, IMO:

<deps>
  <compile>
     <dep>com.thoughtworks.xstream:xsteam:1.4.3</dep>
  </compile>
  <test>
    <dep>org.junit:junit:4.12</dep>
    <dep>org.seleniumhq.selenium:selenium-java:3.14159</dep>
  </test>

Not being able to grep for specific GAVs is a critical flaw.

So I've played with Takari and I like it. I'm able to make super fast
builds without it though. The time-pit is all categories of integration
test. That Maven's recursion fu is slower than Gradles isn't where time is
lost for most *corporate* builds.

- Paul