Hi list,

I'm using the Maven Release Plugin together with Git for version control. I would like to achieve the following. When I create a release on master, say version 1.5.0, I would like to have both a tag and a new branch - starting at that tag. The branch would be there to release fix-releases (e.g. 1.5.1, 1.5.2, etc.). On the master branch, I'd like to see the version bumped to 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT, while on the release branch, I''d like to see 1.5.1-SNAPSHOT.

Depicted graphically:

    1.5.0 (tag)

----*---- master (branch) --------
    \
     \--- release-1.5 (branch) ---

Now there's the release:prepare goal (which would create the tag for me) and there's the release:branch goal (which would create the branch for me). After doing release:prepare, I can do release:perform and all is well. After doing release:branch, I can't do release:perform (since that goal doesn't create a release.properties file). Of course I can switch to the freshly created branch and do release:prepare there - but in that case the tag is created on the release branch and not on master.

Is there a way to create the tag and the branch point at the same commit?

Cheers,

Maarten