Does the Maven documentation actually say anywhere that the
project-submodule relationship and the parent-child relationship should be
in any way related? I don't see any reason that one should imply the other;
however, I gave up long ago on trying to have children that aren't
submodules of their parents because some plugins would not work as
documented in that case.