Hi all,
at Syncope we've been ordinarily using the Release Plugin as part of our
release process [1] since the beginning, and it's been working flawlessly for >
90 releases.

Unfortunately we had troubles with last two releases (Syncope 2.1.6 / 2.0.15)
that we cut last week.

For some reason, release:prepare was not advancing POM files as expected, e.g.
after running

mvn -P apache-release release:prepare -Darguments="-P skipTests,all,docker
-DbuildNumber=syncope-2.1.6"

and providing 2.1.6 as release version and 2.1.7-SNAPSHOT as next development
version, the build started without changing the POM files, e.g.

diff pom.xml pom.xml.releaseBackup

was empty.

In fact, the artifacts were produced for 2.1.6-SNAPSHOT, not for 2.1.6.

I tried with different Release Plugin version, different Maven versions but
nothing.

I have just found, however, that if I am *not* passing the skipTests profile in
-Darguments then it works as expected.

The skipTests profile is defined as in [2]: any idea about the reason of the
behavior described above?

TIA
Regards.

[1] http://syncope.apache.org/release-process