I have a build plugin configured like so:

<plugin>
    <executions>
        <execution>
            <id>assemble-archives</id>
            <phase>package</phase>
            <goals>
                <goal>single</goal>
            </goals>
        </execution>
    </executions>
    <configuration>
        <skipAssembly>true</skipAssembly>  <!-- Overridden by profile
build-dist-archives -->
    </configuration>
</plugin>

I am trying to override its configuration in a profile that I would
like enabled by default:

<profiles>
    <profile>
        <id>build-dist-archives</id>
        <activation>
            <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
        </activation>
        <build>
            <plugins>
                <plugin>
                    <configuration>
                        <skipAssembly>false</skipAssembly>  <!--
Override setting in default profile build/plugins for this module -->
                        <attach>false</attach>
                        <tarLongFileMode>gnu</tarLongFileMode>
                        <descriptors>

<descriptor>src/assembly/dist-assembly-unix.xml</descriptor>

<descriptor>src/assembly/dist-assembly-win.xml</descriptor>
                        </descriptors>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
            </plugins>
        </build>
    </profile>

I would expect that when I run `mvn package`, the
`build-dist-archives` profile is active and therefore the
maven-assembly-plugin SHOULD have skipAssembly=false. In the output
from Maven I see:

[INFO] --- maven-assembly-plugin:3.3.0:single (assemble-archives) @
exist-distribution ---
[INFO] Assemblies have been skipped per configuration of the
skipAssembly parameter.

This implies that skipAssembly was true.

However... if I manually enable the profile by running `mvn package -P
build-dist-archives`, then the maven-assembly-plugin does indeed have
skipAssembly=false, and the assembly is correctly built.

Can anyone tell me why the ` <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>`
on the profile is being ignored?

--
Adam Retter

skype: adam.retter