Oliver B. Fischer wrote:
> I had the same question some days back
> (https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-users/202009.mbox/%3C922b4efc-3296-d35d-0675-d6c0090cc4b1%40swe-blog.net%3E)
> and Stuart McCulloch sent me a link to this JIRA issue:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-4979

Thanks for the pointer, Oliver. I also thought this behavior was a bug
and even tested with different Maven versions, assuming that this was a
regression.

> So, this seems to be a recurring issue that irritates a lot of people.

Yes, it is very irritating and I don't really buy Robert Scholte's
argument [1] that this is a feature rather than a bug.

Yes, it allows you to lock-in critical configuration options and make
them read-only, but to be on the safe side, you would need to do this
for *every* option of your plug-ins, which is obviously undesirable.

Also, if you break something with a manual override via the
command-line, the cause is normally crystal-clear, as you just added the
-D to the invocation; it's not something that snuck in using some
configuration file the user didn't even know about.

I hence really wish MNG-4979 would be reconsidered, maybe for Maven 4.

Best wishes,

Andreas

[1] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-4979#comment-16853944>