I appreciate that you're trying to use Maven to build software, but you've
framed your question unfairly.

What is the simplest way to specify a directory (and all jars underneath
> this directory) to be in the maven classpath when it compiles .java classes
> and builds a .jar?

Maven builds from versioned JARs identified by coordinates. You cannot jam
a directory of JARs into the classpath. Maybe you can do that in Ant, but
not Maven.

I need something with no more than 5..10 lines of XML that would include
> this directory so that it would pick up all jars and add to the class path.

Doesn't exist, no matter how much you want it.

There are hundreds of jar files in the
> $TOMCAT_HOME/<web-context>/WEB-INF/lib directory.

Over time I can create an entry for each one, but I just don't have time
> for that right now, also I would need to determine the version of each and

that would be a nightmare.

The time is now. Don't leave the nightmare for someone else later.

I suspect your real issue is closer to this:
https://blog.sonatype.com/2009/04/how-to-convert-from-ant-to-maven-in-5-minutes/

Greg Chabala