If you read the opening line it talks about Maven 3.7.0, which is not
yet released.

If you want to use a maven wrapper before v3.7.0, then use this
https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper. The upgrade from takari to
maven is easy but does allow you to change your documentation, process
and ci process instead of waiting until v3.7.0.

I did test the maven-wrapper-plugin a few months ago and I had to add
a staging repo of something like this before it worked
https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/maven-XXX/content/.
But can't remember what XXX it was as I've got ~10 in my settings.xml
commented out.

John