Following on a bit, I logged this ticket
https://github.com/pascalgn/properties-maven-extension/issues/58
so the property *git.dir.worktree* is available before the reactor starts.
But now I've found a situation that even an extension can't help with:

Suppose I want to utilise an alternative settings.xml file. I can place it
in .mvn/settings.xml and add --settings=.mvn/settings.xml to
.mvn/maven.config

But this only works when I build from the highest basedir. No property is
yet available to say --settings=${highest-basedir}/.mvn/settings.xml

And yet Maven was clearly able to find the .mvn directory. So if we can
take that as the highest-basedir, it just remains to give that location a
name and make it available.

Anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks,