I built the plugin from HEAD and ran some tests.

Getting the dependency tree for a simple project (e.g. single module, no
parent, no extra repositories) was fast. Here is the pom:

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd";>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>test</groupId>
    <artifactId>testa</artifactId>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <packaging>jar</packaging>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>commons-collections</groupId>
            <artifactId>commons-collections</artifactId>
            <version>3.2.1</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>commons-beanutils</groupId>
            <artifactId>commons-beanutils</artifactId>
            <version>1.9.1</version>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>
</project>

Running the plugin with this pom.xml and verbose enabled took just over a
second.

I added the dependency:

        <dependency>
            <groupId>ch.qos.logback</groupId>
            <artifactId>logback-classic</artifactId>
            <version>1.2.3</version>
        </dependency>

After this change, processing took 14 seconds in verbose mode. Non-verbose mode
took < 1 second.

I also tried the plugin with a simple Spring Boot starter pom:
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd";>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>test</groupId>
    <artifactId>hello-world-spring-boot</artifactId>
    <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <parent>
        <groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
        <artifactId>spring-boot-starter-parent</artifactId>
        <version>2.1.6.RELEASE</version>
    </parent>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
            <artifactId>spring-boot-starter-web</artifactId>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>
</project>

I waited for about 5 minutes before killing the job.