there is a broader plan that tries to be documented at
https://maven.apache.org/developers/compatibility-plan.html

but given each plugin has its own lifecycle, without precise release schedule,
and voluntary work, it is followed at a "soft" speed

I know that one of my personal dreams on this would to enhance the current
prerequisites dist-tool report [1], to add prerequisites for older plugins
releases, to have more precise view of history.
But by lack of interest or help of the general community, this has stayed at
dream level

Regards,

Hervé

[1]