The odd thing is that the pom blocked in the original
message, org.jboss.weld:weld-parent:pom:6, is available on central:

https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/jboss/weld/weld-parent/6/weld-parent-6.pom

I haven't been able to find anything in that dependency chain that isn't
also on central - but some of them do refer to remote repositories (which
apparently is allowed, but is discouraged)

Anyway I'm happy to change this dependency to a later version like 1.2 that
has the remote repository in a separate profile.