Looking at the Snyk Java/JVM ecosystem report 2018 vs 2021, the usage of
Maven is growing still. But yes Gradle growth also grew over the same
period.

2018
- Maven 68%
- Gradle 16%

2021
- Maven 76%
- Gradle 38%

Sources;
https://snyk.io/blog/jvm-ecosystem-report-2018/
https://snyk.io/jvm-ecosystem-report-2021/

Their are also several posts of people moving back to Maven after migrating
to Gradle, see;
https://phauer.com/2018/moving-back-from-gradle-to-maven/

Also I think build tooling is, love it or hate it. I've tried Gradle a few
times but keep coming back to Maven. You get this constantly with lots of
Languages, when will X die, when will Y replace X. Usually people doing
click bate, but after those initial posts they go quite...

John
Maven user since 2004
- It has issues but I prefer these issues over Gradle's.