On Thu, 15 Sept 2022 at 00:52, Florent Biville <florent.bivi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> A colleague of mine recently stumbled upon this
> <
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9192613/how-do-i-get-a-java-maven-build-to-fail-for-compiler-warnings/33823355#33823355
> >
> .
>
> Quoting the above Stackoverflow answer:
>
> > <showWarnings>true</showWarnings> is required. For reasons unknown, Maven
> > by default actively suppresses warnings with the -nowarn flag, so the
> > -Xlint and -Werror flags would be ignored.
> >

> I assume that warnings are suppressed by default because the default value
> of showWarnings is false?

correct.
the source for this is here
https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-compiler/blob/79d1a5fdd237a736ad58fd346a975d5d37046a15/plexus-compilers/plexus-compiler-javac/src/main/java/org/codehaus/plexus/compiler/javac/JavacCompiler.java#L353

I agree this could be improved. Especially everything around the isShowLint
method

> If that's the case, I wonder why we need such an accessible option is
> necessary since the other related warning options would have to go through
> compilerArgs.

Historically (if I remember correctly) only the option '-nowarn' was
available then came new compiler options
well this could be done differently by fixing the use of isShowLint.
the option is to suppress quickly every "noise" (e.g warnings)

> I also realize my question is relevant to other settings.
>
> Is there a plan to deprecate this kind of settings and remove them at a
> next major version?

What other settings do you have in mind?

> In the specific case of showWarnings, if deprecation and removal are not an
> option, could changing the default value to true be considered for the next
> major version (or maybe some other value that means the setting is not
> initialized and should not interfere with warnings)?

sounds good to me to change to true.
changing from boolean to something might break some compatibility
especially because other compilers.