Hello Michael, hello community.

I have decided to actually change the plugin's behaviour the way I
described:

  -- I overrode the default value of AbstractMavenReport.outputDirectory
     [1] by defining a setter method and adding a @Parameter annotation,
     specifying ${project.build.directory} as the base direcory for the
     report, because this is what I want to use when the mojo is
     executed directly. The abstract super class defaults to
     ${project.reporting.outputDirectory}, which is IMO suboptimal. In a
     site generation context, the report directory is set automatically
     anyway, because AbstractMavenReport.setReportOutputDirectory, as
     mentioned in my original message, sets both reportOutputDirectory
     and outputDirectory. BTW, is this "trick" to override an inherited
     property correct? Is there a canonical way to do that?

  -- Then, I introduced a new reportDirectory [2] property, whis is just
     a String, not a File. It specifies the subdirectory to be appended
     to outputDirectory [3]. This works in both use cases, stand-alone
     mojo execution and site generation.

  -- Hence, it is now possible to configure the base directory and the
     subdirectory name separately: The base directory is set in the
     identically named property outputDirectory, either in the plugin or
     in Maven Site, depending on the use case. The subdirectory is set
     in the new reportDirectory property. I.e., reports will end up in
     the following directories:
       ** without configuration, stand-alone:
          target/aspectj-report
       ** without configuration, site generation:
          target/site/aspectj-report
       ** custom base directory, stand-alone: e.g.
          my-target/aspectj-report
       ** custom base directory, site generation: e.g.
          target/my-site/aspectj-report
       ** custom subdirectory, stand-alone: e.g.
          target/my-aspectj-report
       ** custom subdirectory, site generation: e.g.
          target/site/my-aspectj-report
       ** custom base + subdirectory, stand-alone: e.g.
          my-target/my-aspectj-report
       ** custom base + subdirectory, site generation: e.g.
          target/my-site/my-aspectj-report
     Notably, the custom base directory for site generation should work
     for all plugins playing nicely, e.g. Javadoc or (now after my
     change) AspectJ. See the integration tests [4] for examples, namely
     CreateReport* test cases for stand-alone and CreateSite* ones for
     site generation use cases. For each test case, compare the
     differences in Maven Site and AspexctJ Maven settings and the
     corresponding checks in verify.groovy.

[1]
https://github.com/dev-aspectj/aspectj-maven-plugin/blob/9f2d0e97ed963c2b69a7fdf731a4c919a6bb56ef/src/main/java/org/codehaus/mojo/aspectj/AjcReportMojo.java#L90-L106
[2]