Sorry: https://github.com/apache/xalan-java/tree/xalan-java-mvn-refactored (which currently has the binary assembly commented out).

Dependency order... Well, I'm currently running the assembly at the top level, which would presumably mean it has to run after packaging of the contained modules. I suppose I could try moving it down to the module at the farthest end of the current dependency chain, or even into a new module which exists just to depend on everything else, but that feels like I'm solving the wrong problem; "give me an assembly for the whole project" is conceptually a top-level operation and I'd expect to invoke it from the root module.